The 2D Story Engine enables artists to create RPG / puzzle games without any
programming knowledge. Written in Flex 4, the engine is easily deployable on
web sites and playable by any browser running Flash Player. The 2D Story Engine
is freely downloadable and usable for non-comercial ends.
Click here to see a playable demo
Click here to download the story engine
Click here to download the scenario builder
Scenario Builder v1.0.1 |
This version provides support for the new features added to the 2D Story Engine in version version 1.1 .
Additional features provided in version 1.0.1:
- The scenario edit form allows modification of the cursor sprites path, menu sprite path, global fade color and speech frame font size
- The fade color selector was added to the screen edit form
- The sprite comment field was added to the sprite form
Scenario Builder v1.0 |
Sometimes, building a complex scenario can be hard. Long definition files are cause for bugs and misspelling errors.
An artist should concentrate more on drawing than on writing scenarios.
That is why a GUI scenario editor application is available.
Using the Scenario Builder, one can easily create a game without knowledge of the XML language. |
- Automatic resource managing through the Export function
- Auto optimization of the scenario's runtime loading process
- Prevents misspelling by using dropdown boxes and lists of values
For more information, see the tutorial pages
Version 1.1 |
2DSE 1.1 has been released on 2011-Jan-22. In addition to the baseline version (1.0), it introduces the following functionality:
- Mouse in / mouse out events in triggers
- Configurable color of the fade effect between screens
- Configurable graphics on the dialog box and the screen name display box
- Configurable font size of the speech frame
- Sprite Comment - Rolling the mouse over clickable sprites which implement this
attribute will cause the comment to be displayed in the screen name display box
Version 1.2 |
2DSE 1.2 will be released shortly and will mainly address the following points:
- Configurable drawing area
- Normalization of the coordinate system
Scenario Builder v1.1 under development |
Because the scenario builder can be made easier to use, an improved version (1.1) is under development and will replace
the outline version (1.0) when it will be ready.
Additional features provided in version 1.1:
- Error checking tool
- Custom XML code snippet objects for using features which are added to the engine
after releasing the builder version
- Editing by double-clicking instead of puhing Edit buttons
- Help button on every form